Sunday, June 2, 2013

Engagement

Is being engaged really all that bad? Is it just the most stressful thing in the world? Does nobody understand you at all? Is being married going to solve all of your problems? Is waiting too hard?


There are harder things in life you could be going through. Be grateful they're not happening to you. Your fiance didn't just die in a car wreck. Your fiance is not laying in his/her death bed, having just received a diagnosis of terminal cancer. Your fiance did not just get deployed over seas to fight in the wars. You aren't scraping up your family's life savings just to make the trip to the temple.
You're freaking GETTING MARRIED. BE HAPPY! Do you really want to remember the time leading up to the most important day of your life as being this stressful? Do you want people to remember you as being the bride who sulked and complained and had little hissy fits? Or would it be nice to recall this time of preparation as a time of spiritual and personal progress, developing a different kind of work ethic, and learning how to manage priorities, all while coming closer to your family, and gaining love for the person you are going to spend time and all eternity with?

Have peace. You. Are. Getting. Married. IN THE TEMPLE. You are an extraordinarily rare, lucky couple.


I know things get stressful and hard. I have no doubt that not everything will be rainbows and butterflies when my time comes. But for goodness sake, enough with the complaints! Nothing drives me up the wall more than hearing whining brides on campus EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

"It's so hard to wait 6 more weeks!"
"He's off track this semester, I miss him so much!"
"We can't decide what venue to choose from for our reception. His mom wants this, but I really want this! This is too stressful. Ugh!"
"Our cousins are trying to find a place to stay and I don't really want them staying with me two full days before the wedding... I need my space!"




I have not felt the desire to slap this many people in a very long time, if ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment