Friday, September 14, 2012

Passport

I was in a little car accident yesterday. It was not my fault, but the other driver spoke very little English and did not understand me. My dad came to the rescue and spoke in spanish with this guy. The guy was saying it was all my fault, even though it wasn't.
Anyway. It was a no-fault claim and the police officer was kind and helpful. Just a pain in the butt during the hottest time of the day.

And now some brief back-story: Back in July, I applied for a passport so that I can go to Canada with Nick and meet his family. About a month or so later, I got a letter from the passport agency saying my "identification was not sufficient" for them to approve my passport. I had to fill out a TON of information (that nobody should ever have to know), and give a minimum of 5 forms of documentation about myself that were 5 years or older. Five years ago I was 16.
On Tuesday we sent this in, and we (my dad and I) sent a letter in to the congressman, telling him I am having trouble getting my passport and am concerned I will never get it, things seem fishy.

Today, he called me. At this point, I have no clue when I will be receiving my passport, but there are two likely possibilities for why I am not getting my passport.
1) Identity theft. This is apparently the most common reason why people get sent the forms that I was sent. Somebody else could have a passport in my name with my information. I don't have credit cards or anything though, and I'm only 21. I don't put my information ANYWHERE online. How could that have even happened????
2) When I sent in the application, I was in Idaho. They photocopied my driver's license, which had an Iowa address, and my Idaho Student ID. However, my mailing address was my new home address in Nevada. Three different states for one person. The congressman said that it isn't usually an address problem though; it is more commonly a false ID problem.

Later he called me again and asked me to write a detailed letter explaining why I was in Idaho, why I had an Iowa driver's license, and why my family moved to Nevada. Also get some photocopies of yearbook photos, my current student ID, and send that in to him. He will then put it together and send that into the agency so that they know I am being represented through him.

It could be either one, and I am hoping and praying it is the second one. If it's the first one, it could take up to a year for me to get my passport.
Not to mention dealing with identity theft.

Oh my goodness. I just want to see Nick and go about my life with no more legal issues. 

1 comment:

  1. oh geez, That really just stinks! I got mine and it didn't take long at all. Good luck with everything! Miss you here at BYU-I!

    ReplyDelete