Monday, March 26, 2012

People

There is a lot of negativity in the world today. We all have our down days, we all lose our grip sometimes. But the real problem comes when we don't actively seek out ways to minimize the negativity.
A few posts ago I wrote a little free-lance poetry on "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."
I feel like living that way is a start. But do we all want to just sit around at the starting point for the rest of our lives? I know I don't. I want to get somewhere. I want to make some accomplishments.
So it's time to get going.
Today, while walking across campus, I started doing something I did for a year in high school. As I looked at people, instead of letting whatever is currently stressing me out feed me negative thoughts, I would look at them, think "they are a child of God, too", and then find something nice about the way they look, or something they're doing.
Living in an environment with so many girls, it is so easy to become so judgmental of others, and yourself. I have caught myself doing this, and am determined to stop it.

It's a small step forward, and I know different challenges will arise from attempting this (thinking something nice about a person who is not dressed appropriately for being on campus....), but I figure a step forward is a step forward, no matter how small of a step you end up taking.

So what say you? Want to take a challenge with me? Try to find something good about every person you meet, bump into, pass by, etc. Let a good thought be your first thought.

But don't be fake. Be honest with yourself. Please, please, please don't be fake.

No comments:

Post a Comment