Friday, July 8, 2011

Facebook

Oh facebook. Silly, silly facebook.

I am struggling to put into words all of the thoughts in my head about facebook.

Sorry, I meant I am struggling to put my thoughts into a small amount of words that make sense.

Facebook is potentially a really dangerous place, depending on how you decide to use it. And I'm not just talking about teenage girls (and some guys..) treating facebook like a diary.
There is a sense of anonymity when on facebook. People read what you have to "say", but you are not actually there in person telling the reader what you are thinking. Whether what you are thinking is a positive thought, a negative thought, confused, upset, etc, it is easier to feel a false sense of bravery putting these thoughts on a public place such as facebook, whereas, if one was speaking their mind in person, they might second guess their choice of words and ideas. Which is not always a bad thing. Sometimes, people really do need to speak up. But we all know that, while intentions may be good (or not.....), there are some things that should be left unsaid. Not because the rest of the world doesn't want to hear it, but because the rest of the world doesn't know you personally. They don't know you have this kind of background, that going on in your life, and they usually aren't going to care, unfortunately. To put thoughts out there, expecting everyone to understand, is dangerous. To the world, it will look unprofessional, depending on the tone given for certain thoughts.

I'm not saying you should never show emotion or be upset or anything on facebook, but it is wise to keep it to a limit. A strict limit. I see people who post something heated, super emotional, sarcastic, inappropriate, and/or mean/hurtful every other day.

What gets me most about this is when my own facebook friends, ones who are supposed to actually be very professional, mature, and respectful, end up doing these things on facebook.
I have recently lost professional trust with a colleague I have known for some time, not only because of the things this person has posted on facebook, but the response (or lack thereof) to my attempted communication with them. Having worked in person with this person, it saddens me to have to now choose to not trust this person professionally because their behavior on facebook, combined with their attitude towards me off of facebook. It is annoying. And I have to try not to take it too personally. I worry that my age, gender and religious/political status may be core reasons for this not-so-professional relationship, but I know that there is nothing I can do about those, and if that is the problem, then it is truly this person's problem and not mine.
Just stinks to deal with it anyway.

Along with this are just some of the mean things I see on facebook. No one person is going to agree with any other person on every single matter in life, be it political positions, life choices, or even picking chocolate or vanilla. The name calling and misconstrued judgments that go on and are blatantly put on facebook... I'm trying to find a nice way to say this... it is not pleasant. It is not friendly. It is not professional, good, kind, helpful, or good for your own reputation.

Also, so many times I see people get upset and defensive when confronted with these issues. (I don't go up and confront people about it, but I certainly have seen it.) And the only reason they get so upset and defensive is because they know they are guilty of it. Which is a huge pain to get into. I try to avoid unnecessary confrontation like the plague.

Just be aware and be careful what you are putting on facebook, please..

No comments:

Post a Comment